Recently I've been looking at Povray, pyprocessing, and cfdg (version 3.0) as tools for creating digital images. I have branched two separate blogs where I mainly explore jruby + processing and processing.py

Friday, 16 August 2013

Selecting a default kernel in kubuntu (linux since grub2)

Those distro/grub guys try to make it really hard for you to control which kernel you boot, and its getting harder. For a long time now I've been rolling my own kernel (currently linux-3.10.7), and usually what I want is for the latest kernel to get selected by by default, which is what normally happens by default. That is until I start to to experiment with nouveau, now my linux-3.10.7-nouveau is the one that gets to the top of the pile, and is selected by default. The answer in this case when you are running kubuntu (actually probably any linux distro since grub2) is to edit /etc/default/grub, the following is rather specific for kubuntu but you get the idea:- replace
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
with
GRUB_DEFAULT='Advanced options for Kubuntu GNU/Linux>gnulinux-3.10.7-advanced-9a864d14-c01c-46d8-b4f8-f62579a8e34d'
re-run
sudo update-grub
Note the preferred way to do it is with a string rather than using numbers note
Advanced options for Kubuntu GNU/Linux
navigates you to the second ('hidden') menu and the ">" is require to step to second part of menu. By the way
grep menuentry /boot/grub/grub.cfg
is a neat way to examine your current boot setup (don't even consider editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
I have developed JRubyArt and propane new versions of ruby-processing for JRuby-9.1.5.0 and processing-3.2.2