Recently I've been looking at Povray, pyprocessing, and cfdg (version 3.0) as tools for creating digital images. I have branched two separate blogs where I mainly explore jruby + processing and processing.py

Sunday, 16 January 2011

Exploring Povray (cornell box, and JEdit commando file)

Before I get round to developing any processing to povray conversion software of my own I was keen to check out the existing resources. I have found for example that Kari Kivisalo has created a simple cornell box cornell.pov file. Here is that file rendered using povray-3.7-rc2, I later found it was necessary change 'ambient' to 'emission' when specifying version 3.7, with radiosity turned on (unless you don't mind a black area instead of a light source).


This could be useful in evaluating different povray settings, I've recently updated my JEdit commando file to allow users to adjust the quality settings (default is high). Lower settings are useful for initial checking, as they render extremely quickly.

NB:[The new POV-Ray 3.7 supports multiple processors. It uses available processors automatically so you don't have to explicitly turn the feature on.]Neither does it burn memory as previous multiprocessor hacks.

My brushing up on python scripting that I've been doing recently, exploring processing.py, will doubtless come in handy to write blender scripts (blender povray integration is moving apace), which might negate the need to create a direct processing export utility.






Here is an example where I've placed my StructureSynth created object in the cornell box, probably needs another light source, anyway I found that I could create 'union' around all the StructureSynth objects, then I applied scale (7 times), translate and rotate (20 degrees) transformations:-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
I have developed JRubyArt and propane new versions of ruby-processing for JRuby-9.1.5.0 and processing-3.2.2