Recently I've been looking at Povray, pyprocessing, and cfdg (version 3.0) as tools for creating digital images. I have branched two separate blogs where I mainly explore jruby + processing and processing.py

Saturday, 31 January 2009

Vectors explained

For those of you not heavily in to game programming I found this excellent explanation of vectors for processing (now PVector) at http://www.shiffman.net/teaching/nature/vectors/ straight from the horses mouth as it were. I particularly recommend downloading the example code, the simpleMouse example is very elegant and to my mind demonstrates most of what you need to know in one go...
I'm very much tempted to use that and possibly ideas lifted from John Wilsons 'Bee' to re-invigorate my original animated saucer...
I have changed my mouse following saucer to have an animated starfield background http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/monkstone/html/mouse.html, I now make much use of PVector... though I've yet to automate my saucer!!
I'd like to think there something like emergent properties in my starfield (like Casey Reas and Ben Fry talk about on their podcasts see Darrels posting). The original clumping problem solved by fading in the stars (they now start life with 100% transparency). So brighter stars are nearer, an improved but far from perfect starfield...
ToDo: give saucer a path to follow..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
I have developed JRubyArt and propane new versions of ruby-processing for JRuby-9.1.5.0 and processing-3.2.2